Doing things on the fly can have its advantages and disadvantages. On one hand, the spontaneity gives you an instant reboot from your usual, daily routine and a chance to experience new things. Unfortunately, it also does not give you the assurance of sticking to a budget.
- Location – Corregidor Island, Bataan, Philippines
- Travel time from Manila – 4 hours ; Travel area – 180 km
- Transportation option – land travel using a car
- Projected budget – P8,000++ ; Actual budget spent – P10,000++
- Satisfaction Rating – 10/10
On May 2, through Metro Deal, an online merchant, I booked a 1-day road trip with Dai (my girlfriend) to Corregidor Island with a quick stop at Camaya Sands Resort and Leisure (Sitio Wain, Barangay Biaan, Mariveles). Both are located in Bataan, Philippines. The decision turned out to be awesome! For just P5,600 (for two), we were able to use the resort’s facilities, had a satisfactory buffet lunch and go around Corregidor Island. Oh, and the rest of the budget went to gas, toll and food. :p
May 3, 2014
Anticipating a long drive to Bataan, I rested early the night before the trip. I woke up at 5am and Dai and I left Manila at 7am. Since I had my car, we used the (almost) reliable WAZE App to guide us through our journey. Just in case, below is a point-by-point road guide.
- From Quezon City take a Right to the North Luzon Expressway aka NLEX
- Proceed to SCTEX Exit
- Proceed to Clark Exit
- Continue to Bataan Provincial Highway
- Continue to National Road
- Continue to Mindanao Avenue
- Continue to Roman Boulevard
- Continue to Concepcion Street
- Turn left to Lakandula Street
- Continue to General Ricarte Street
- Turn right to Mariveles National Road leading to Camaya
After 4 hours, we finally arrived at the resort. Dai and I were immediately blown away by the picturesque surroundings especially the view of the mountains and the sea. Unfortunately, most of our resort photos are in her phone But you’ll see other pictures in this blog.
We got our money’s worth! From Camaya, we rode a Sun Cruises Ferry and it only took us only 30 minutes to get to the island. The ferry was cozy, spacious (good thing we were less than 10 inside!) and fast!
Upon arrival, we were greeted by Edwin, our tour guide. If ever you get to Corregidor, request for him. He’s been with his job for 16 years! Every place we went to, it seemed like it was his first time at work. He was very nice and enthusiastic in explaining the monuments and ruins.
According to Edwin, Corregidor aka Fort Mills, played an important part in the Philippines’ history – protecting the country from invaders such as the Japanese from World War II. The tadpole-shaped island is divided into the TOPSIDE, MIDDLESIDE, BOTTOMSIDE and TAILSIDE. Here are some of the other sites to see.
- Battery Way
- Pacific War Memorial
- Filipino Heroes Memorial
- Corregidor Lighthouse
- Malinta Tunnel – this is the last stop before leaving. Do not leave the island not until you go inside the tunnel! It’s a terrifying yet exciting journey!
Heading back home
Touring the island took us 1.5-2 hours and when we got back to the beach, we were exhausted. Instead of driving again to Manila, we decided to stay in a decent inn, Dudice Traveller’s Inn. Located in Roman Boulevard, I highly recommend Dudice. For only P800, you get to stay in a very clean room for 12 hours – enough time to sleep and energize before leaving for Manila.
- Enjoy our time with your partner! 🙂
- More fun in the Philippines. This whole experience made me love the Philippines more. Corregidor is just one of the country’s thousands of islands! If you were to visit each island (over 7,000 of them) each month, it will take more than a lifetime to go to them. So, you / we better start now!
- Make sure to bring extra money. I projected to spend only P8,000 for two but ended up spending a little over P10,000.
AweMessages is a Master of basics | Enthusiast of simplicity | Servant | Sports Fan | MMA Junkie | Coffee Addict | Proud Filipino. He can be reached at email@example.com.
#philippines #bataan #camaya corregidorisland #tour #beach #food #road #trip #metrodeal #vacation